November 15, 2007

Deep thoughts on soft power

Well, I've finally done it.

I've just finished watching "I, Claudius," the classic BBC drama of Rome and its ancient intrigue, murder, lust and power. And those last juicy bits, I gather we all know a bit of, yes?

I've pondered how many crave power, leadership, the spotlight of it all. And we've all seen idiots rise to the top, with enough money, luck or family influence.

"I, Claudius" is based on a book by Robert Graves, about a lame stuttering member of the royal family in ancient Rome, and how over many years and decades, those who were smarter, better looking, and more promising, were murdered, shamed, or politically out maneuvered. Then, against his will, Claudius was named emperor to it all, and proved to be one of the best leaders ancient Rome had ever seen.

Thus the oxymoron of sorts - he who was perceived of as lame and useless, was the strongest and best man for the job. And the similarities within BDSM... surrendering one's ego, acquiescing and allowing your own humility as a submissive, grants you such strength, within your reach.

When I work with my slaves, while I maneuver and magistrate over their tingling skins and throbbing humilities, I ponder power, submission, and the roots therein. My submissives pay through the nose for my time, however they are such sweet morsels to me. I coddle them in my warm palm, watch them quiver, anticipate.

I work best with slaves that entertain me, either with their rare vulnerability, or their wit and charm. We are both to enjoy this trip.