March 4, 2008

Night Falls, I smile

There are days when my ability to speak, write, convey, feel fumbly and unskilled. Especially when greeted with beauty that overwhelms. There are days when I envy the skill of Roger Ebert, with his Pulitzer prize winning ability to write.

And yes, I do have a Bachelors in English Writing, and yes, I'm not half bad at throwing words together. Then a thing like "Before Night Falls," comes my way, and I'm struck dumb with awe for the thing.

"Before Night Falls," came around theatres in 2000, directed by Julian Schnabel, starring Javier Bardem. Based on the memoir of Cuban author Reynaldo Arenas bearing the same name, this movie shares his life, from childhood to death. A gifted writer, who's occupation and orientation land him in prison during Castro's dictatorship, we get to experience the main character's life unfold, bloom and later fall from the vine.

Director Schnabel has already established a career as a well known painter, and his artist's eye gives us heavy rain, humid forest, and quiet discovery. There is intense passion, pain, and so much beauty in this movie.

Author Arenas needs freedom to thrive, and finds it later in New York. His simple profound voice still echoes, even as Bardem channels it on screen.

We have a perfect storm here of amazing writing, skilled direction, and an actor who intuits and transforms, molding his essence into Arenas' form. I am thankful for their work and this gift of a movie.

A last note for my faithful slaves and submissives - Mistress loves her work with you all. I'm thankful for the grace you allow Me, and the freedom to share tidbits that are not all BDSM. My gratitude.